Thursday, February 3, 2011

It's not my fault

I swear.
Okay, maybe if I should have had the foresight to perform an intense check-up on my GPS unit beforehand, but I'd never noticed anything wrong before; how was I supposed to know that it would malfunction? The track log, which essentially leaves a breadcrumb trail of waypoints, was lying to me. I told it to record coordinates every 5 seconds, more than enough to accurately portray the curves of a road while walking. The little graphic on the screen showed little white dots accumulating behind me, and since there is no way to manually check the coordinates saved before uploading the data to a computer, I had to trust that. How naive. After three days of slogging through tropical streams with GPS in one hand and machete in the other, after logging miles and miles on dirt roads, I'm left with unseemly, inaccurate, jagged lines; poor excuses for the nuanced bends of a creek or trail. Basically, the data I collected is worse than I could do with paper and pencil. 
The treacherous GPS
So my next step for my sorry excuse for a GPS will be a master reset, full software update and a series of tests. Then it will be back to Los Naranjos for a second go. 

1 comment:

  1. Ben, I am so sorry to hear that. All those miles of slogging to do again. :-( Heavy sigh. It seems this unknown adventure has been filled with bureacratic and technical obstacles. I am proud of you for mounting each and going on...but how disappointing. So sorry.

    ReplyDelete